Understanding the financial aspect of medical procedures, especially when it comes to something as important as knee replacement surgery, is crucial for patients and their families. In this guide, we will share with you the knee replacement surgery cost in Noida. We have covered the price for all types of knee surgeries, as well as the different factors that impact the cost.
In the bustling heart of India, Noida stands as a prominent hub for advanced medical care, including orthopedic procedures like knee replacement surgery. This surgery can be a turning point in regaining mobility and improving the quality of life for those suffering from severe knee problems.
As you go through this guide, you’ll gain insights into the knee replacement surgery cost in Noida, and how these costs are influenced by the type of surgery, the choice of hospital, the surgeon’s expertise, and the quality of the implants used.
Whether you’re a local resident or considering Noida as your destination for medical treatment, this guide aims to equip you with all the necessary information to make an informed decision.
What is Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement surgery, also known as knee arthroplasty, is a medical procedure performed to replace the weight-bearing surfaces of the knee joint to relieve pain and disability. It is most commonly conducted on patients suffering from severe arthritis or those who have experienced serious knee injuries.
During this surgery, the damaged or diseased parts of the knee joint are removed and replaced with an artificial joint made from metal, plastic, or a combination of both. These materials are designed to replicate the knee’s natural movement.
The goal of knee replacement surgery is to restore mobility and alleviate pain that can’t be controlled by other treatments. It is a common procedure with a high rate of success, especially in relieving pain and improving knee function.
Most people who undergo knee replacement surgery experience a reduction in knee pain and a significant improvement in their ability to perform common activities.
Types of Knee Replacement Surgeries
Knee replacement surgeries vary depending on the extent of damage to the knee joint and the specific needs of the patient.
The following are the main types of knee replacement surgeries:
Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
- Involves replacing both sides of the knee joint.
- It’s the most common type of knee replacement surgery.
- Suitable for patients with severe arthritis or significant knee damage.
Partial Knee Replacement (PKR)
- Also known as unicompartmental knee replacement.
- Only one side (compartment) of the knee joint is replaced, either the inside (medial), outside (lateral), or front (patellofemoral) compartments.
- Ideal for patients with limited knee arthritis.
Kneecap Replacement (Patellofemoral Arthroplasty)
- Specifically targets the kneecap and the groove it slides in (the trochlea).
- It’s a less common procedure, usually recommended for patients with arthritis affecting only the kneecap.
Revision Knee Replacement
- This is performed when a previous knee replacement fails due to various reasons like infection, wear and tear of the implant, or loosening over time.
- It’s a more complex procedure as it involves the removal of the old prosthesis and the placement of a new one.
Bilateral Knee Replacement
- Involves replacing both knees simultaneously or in a staged approach.
- Chosen when both knees require replacement, and it can be beneficial for patients to have a single recovery period.
Cost of Knee Replacement Surgery in Noida
The average cost of knee replacement surgery in Noida ranges between INR 2,50,000 to INR 4,80,000.
The cost varies based on the type of surgery, the surgeon’s expertise, the hospital’s standing, and the specific needs of the patient. To get the exact cost, it is best to book your appointment with a knee replacement surgeon.
We have outlined the knee replacement surgery cost in Noida for different types of knee surgeries.
|Type of Knee Replacement
|Total Knee Replacement
|Partial Knee Replacement
|Revision Knee Replacement
|Bilateral Knee Replacement
Total Knee Replacement (TKR) Cost in Noida
The average cost of total knee replacement surgery in Noida is around ₹4.5 Lakh.
Partial Knee Replacement (PKR) Cost in Noida
The average cost of partial knee replacement surgery in Noida is around ₹4 Lakh.
Revision Knee Replacement (PKR) Cost in Noida
The average cost of revision knee replacement surgery in Noida is around ₹6.5 Lakh.
Bilateral Knee Replacement (PKR) Cost in Noida
The average cost of bilateral knee replacement surgery in Noida is around ₹8 Lakh.
Cost of Diagnostics Tests Before Knee Replacement Surgery in Noida
Before the surgery, you will need to go through the required diagnostic tests as recommended by your knee replacement surgeon or doctor. The price of these tests is listed below:
|Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) Test
|₹150 – ₹200
|Prothrombin Time Test (PT)
|₹150 – ₹200
|Albumin (Blood) Test
|₹200 – ₹300
|₹200 – ₹450
|₹250 – ₹400
|CBC Blood Test
|₹250 – ₹500
|Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP)
|₹300 – ₹900
|₹350 – ₹800
|₹1,500 – ₹2,400
|₹1,000 – ₹1,500
Breakdown of Knee Replacement Surgery Cost in Noida
Below is a detailed breakdown of the cost of knee replacement surgery in Noida:
|Minimum Cost (INR)
|Average Cost (INR)
|Maximum Cost (INR)
|Hospital Room Cost
|Operation Theatre Cost
|Medications and Consumables
Who Needs Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement surgery is recommended for individuals experiencing major knee pain and mobility issues, generally resulting from the following conditions:
- Osteoarthritis: This is the most common reason for knee replacement surgery. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that causes the cartilage in the knee joint to wear away over time, leading to pain, stiffness, and decreased mobility.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: This is an autoimmune condition where the body’s immune system attacks the joint lining, causing pain, inflammation, and joint damage. Knee replacement may be considered if the damage is severe.
- Post-traumatic Arthritis: This form of arthritis develops after an injury to the knee, such as a fracture, ligament damage, or meniscus tear. The resulting instability and misalignment can lead to arthritis over time.
- Severe Knee Injury: Significant injuries to the knee’s bones, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons may necessitate knee replacement if they lead to chronic pain and functional limitations.
- Bone Tumors: Rarely, tumors in or near the knee joint may necessitate the replacement of the affected parts of the knee.
- Avascular Necrosis: Also known as osteonecrosis, this condition occurs when blood flow to a bone is reduced or stopped, leading to bone death and joint damage. The knee is one of the commonly affected joints.
- Deformities: Congenital or developmental deformities that cause severe knee pain or hinder normal knee function might require knee replacement. Examples include bowlegged or knock-kneed deformities.
- Severe Degenerative Joint Disease: In some cases, the knee joint may be so severely damaged by arthritis or injury that more conservative treatments (like medication or physical therapy) are no longer effective.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Knee Replacement Surgery in Noida
The cost of knee replacement in Noida varies due to several influencing factors. Understanding these factors is crucial for patients to prepare financially for the procedure.
The following are the key elements that can affect the knee replacement surgery cost in Noida:
Type of Surgery
The cost can differ significantly between a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) and a Partial Knee Replacement (PKR). PKR costs less as it involves replacing only a part of the knee joint, whereas TKR, which includes the replacement of the entire joint, tends to be more expensive.
Choice of Hospital
The cost of knee replacement operation in Noida can vary depending on the hospital chosen. High-end private hospitals generally charge more due to their advanced facilities and amenities, whereas government hospitals offer the procedure at a lower cost.
Surgeon’s Expertise and Reputation
The fees charged by the orthopedic doctor in Noida play a significant role in the overall cost. More experienced surgeons or those with a higher reputation in their field often charge more, reflecting their expertise and the demand for their services.
Quality and Type of Implant Used
The cost of the artificial knee joint itself can vary. There are different types of implants made from various materials like metal, ceramic, and plastic, and their prices differ. The choice of implant is influenced by factors like the patient’s age, activity level, and the surgeon’s preference.
Pre- and Post-Surgery Expenses
The overall cost of knee replacement surgery in Noida includes more than just the surgery.
- Pre-surgery expenses like diagnostic tests, consultations, and preparation for surgery add up.
- Post-surgery expenses include the cost of hospital stay, medications, physical therapy, and follow-up visits.
The extent of insurance coverage can significantly influence the out-of-pocket expenses for the patient. Patients should consult with their insurance provider to understand what aspects of the surgery and rehabilitation are covered.
In some cases, patients might require additional treatments or interventions, such as bone grafting or treatment for pre-existing medical conditions, which can add to the total cost.
Although rare, complications during or after surgery can lead to additional procedures or extended hospital stays, thereby increasing the cost.
Why Choose Knee Replacement Surgery in Noida?
Choosing Noida for knee replacement surgery offers several compelling advantages, making it a preferred destination for this procedure, not just for residents of India but also for international patients. Here are some key reasons why Noida stands out as a choice for knee replacement surgery:
- Advanced Medical Infrastructure: Noida is home to some of India’s most advanced medical facilities. The hospitals are equipped with state-of-the-art technology and infrastructure that are pivotal for successful knee replacement surgeries.
- Highly Skilled Orthopedic Surgeons: The city boasts a pool of highly qualified and experienced orthopedic surgeons like Dr Himanshu Gupta. He is trained internationally and is adept in the latest surgical techniques and treatments, ensuring high standards of care.
- Cost-Effective Treatment: Despite offering world-class medical services, the cost of knee replacement surgery in Noida is considerably lower compared to many Western countries. This cost-effectiveness does not compromise the quality of treatment but rather provides access to top-notch medical care at more affordable prices.
- Personalized Care and Attention: Hospitals in Noida are known for their patient-centric approach. They provide personalized care and attention, ensuring that each patient’s needs and concerns are addressed comprehensively.
- Accreditation and Quality Standards: Hospitals in Noida often have national and international accreditations, ensuring they meet stringent quality standards in healthcare delivery.
- Robust Post-operative Care and Rehabilitation: The post-operative care and rehabilitation services in Noida’s hospitals are comprehensive, aiding in quicker and more effective recovery.
- Medical Tourism Facilities: Noida is equipped to handle medical tourists with services like visa assistance, airport pickups, and accommodation arrangements, ensuring a hassle-free experience for international patients.
Preparing for Knee Replacement Surgery
Preparing for knee replacement surgery involves several steps to ensure the best possible outcome.
- Consultation with Surgeon: A detailed discussion with your orthopedic surgeon is essential to understand the procedure, risks, benefits, and expected recovery. This is the time to ask questions and clarify any doubts.
- Medical Evaluation: Undergo a thorough medical evaluation to assess your fitness for surgery. This may involve consultations with specialists like a cardiologist or an anesthesiologist, especially if you have existing medical conditions.
- Medication Review: Inform your surgeon about all medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements. Some medications might need to be stopped or adjusted before surgery.
- Pre-Surgery Testing: Complete all pre-surgery tests prescribed by your surgeon. These could include blood tests, urine tests, EKG (electrocardiogram), and chest X-ray to ensure you are healthy enough for surgery.
- Necessary Medical Tests and Evaluations:
Blood Tests: To check for anemia, infection, and clotting status.
Cardiac Evaluation: An EKG and possibly a stress test to assess heart health.
Chest X-Ray: To check lung health.
Joint Evaluation: Imaging tests like X-rays or MRIs of the knee to assess the extent of damage.
Urinalysis: To rule out any urinary infections.
Recovery and Rehabilitation Post-Surgery
Here’s an overview covering the general recovery timeline, the rehabilitation process, and long-term care and follow-up.
Immediate Post-Surgery (0-1 Week):
- Hospital stay typically lasts a few days.
- Initial pain and swelling are normal.
- Basic mobility and simple exercises start almost immediately.
Early Recovery (1-6 Weeks):
- Gradual increase in daily activities.
- Regular physical therapy sessions to regain mobility and strength.
- Pain and swelling decrease, but some discomfort is normal.
Intermediate Recovery (6-12 Weeks):
- Significant improvement in joint function.
- More intensive exercises and possibly walking without support.
- Return to most everyday activities.
Late Recovery (3-6 Months):
- Near-complete recovery of joint function.
- Engagement in low-impact activities like swimming or cycling.
- Ongoing strengthening exercises.
Full Recovery (6-12 Months):
- Most patients achieve full recovery.
- Return to pre-surgery levels of activity, sometimes even better.
- Rehabilitation Process and Physical Therapy
Knee Replacement Surgery Procedure
Below is an overview of the common steps involved in this procedure:
1. Preparation for Surgery
Anesthesia: The surgery begins with the administration of anesthesia – either general anesthesia (where the patient is asleep) or spinal/epidural anesthesia (numbing the body below the waist).
Preparation of the Leg: The leg is cleaned, and a tourniquet is applied to reduce blood loss. The knee area is then covered with a sterile drape.
2. Surgical Procedure
Incision: The surgeon makes an incision, typically about 6 to 10 inches long, over the front of the knee to expose the joint.
Removal of Damaged Cartilage and Bone: The damaged cartilage surfaces at the ends of the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone) are removed along with a small amount of underlying bone.
Reshaping the Bone: The bone is then reshaped to fit the artificial knee prosthesis. This may involve cutting the bone to ensure a precise fit.
Insertion of the Prosthesis: Metal implants are then placed onto the prepared bone surfaces. These components can be cemented into place or be “press-fit” to allow bone to grow into them. The femoral (thigh bone) component is generally made of metal, while the tibial (shin bone) component is usually metal with a plastic surface on top where the bones meet.
Resurfacing the Patella: Depending on the condition of the kneecap (patella) and the type of prosthesis being used, the undersurface of the patella may be cut and resurfaced with a plastic button.
Inserting a Spacer: A medical-grade plastic spacer is inserted between the metal components to create a smooth gliding surface, facilitating knee movement.
3. Finalizing the Surgery
Testing and Adjustment: The surgeon then tests the fit and function of the new joint, making adjustments as needed to ensure proper movement and alignment.
Closure: The incision is closed with stitches or staples. Drains may be placed to remove fluid that might accumulate in the knee joint post-surgery.
Postoperative Bandaging: The knee is wrapped in a sterile bandage to protect the wound.
Recovery Room: After surgery, the patient is taken to a recovery room where vital signs are monitored as the anesthesia wears off.
Initial Rehabilitation: Physical therapy often begins within a day or so after surgery to start mobilizing the new joint.
Does Insurance Cover Knee Replacement Surgery?
Yes, health insurance plans in India provide coverage for the cost of knee replacement surgery. This coverage extends to various components of the surgery, including expenses related to the hospital room, diagnostic tests, surgeon’s fees, medications, consumables, and more.
Additionally, both pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization expenses related to the knee replacement surgery are covered by health insurance plans in India.
However, it’s important to be aware of certain factors related to health insurance coverage for knee replacement surgery. Most health insurance plans impose a waiting period of 2 to 4 years before you can claim expenses related to knee joint replacement surgery. This means that you can only claim the costs of surgery after the waiting period has been completed.
It’s advisable for individuals considering knee replacement surgery to review their health insurance policy terms and conditions, including waiting periods and coverage details, to understand the extent of coverage provided by their specific insurance plan.
FAQs on Knee Replacement Surgery Price in Noida
Yes, many health insurance plans cover knee replacement surgery, but the extent of coverage varies. Patients should check with their insurance provider for specific details.
Full recovery can take 6 to 12 months, but most patients can resume normal activities within 6 to 12 weeks after the surgery.
Total knee replacement involves replacing the entire knee joint, while partial knee replacement involves replacing only the damaged part of the knee.
As with any surgery, there are risks such as infection, blood clots, and complications related to anesthesia. However, these risks are generally low.
Modern knee implants can last 15-20 years or more, but their longevity can vary depending on factors like patient activity level and weight.
Patients are encouraged to walk with assistance within a day or two after the surgery, but full recovery varies from person to person.
Preparation includes consultations with your surgeon, getting necessary medical tests, making lifestyle changes like weight management and smoking cessation, and following specific pre-surgery instructions.